Say Goodbye to Dry Eyes
Have you felt the stinging, gritty, or burning sensation of dry eyes? You’re not alone—millions of Canadians live with the irritation of dry eyes. From the dry air of winter to the drying effects of fans and air conditioners in the summer, the discomfort can seem endless.
Our doctors are experienced in both diagnosing and treating dry eye disease, including targeting its root cause with TempSure Envi radiofrequency therapy, which also reduces fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
Learn more about dry eyes and book your appointment today.
What Is Dry Eye Disease?
Dry eye disease happens when your tears aren’t able to adequately hydrate and lubricate your eyes. This leaves your eyes to dry out and become irritated or painful when you blink. It can also lead to very watery eyes and excessive tearing.
One of the most common causes of dry eye disease is meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). Your meibomian glands are responsible for contributing to the oil layer of your tears. When those glands become blocked or don’t work correctly, your tears may evaporate too quickly, leading to dry eyes.
Diagnosing Dry Eye Disease
The causes of dry eye disease can be complex and intertwined. We’ll use a few different diagnostic methods to determine the likely cause, or causes, of your dry eye disease to help us best treat it. This includes:
- A thorough eye exam
- A dry eye questionnaire
- Detailed photos of your eyelids and meibomian glands with our Meibox infrared ocular camera
- A discussion of your symptoms
What Causes Dry Eyes?
Beyond meibomian gland dysfunction, other contributing factors to dry eyes include:
- Being over 50, as our eyes create less tears with age
- Wearing contacts or having past laser eye surgery
- Hormone changes in pregnancy, menopause, and with hormonal birth control use, which can affect tear production
- Certain medications, including antihistamines, decongestants, depression medication, and more
- Certain medical conditions, including Sjögren’s syndrome, allergic eye disease, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disorders, and more
Treatment for Dry Eye Disease
We’ll work with you to find relief for your symptoms both through targeted treatments and by suggesting adjustments to your environment. These environmental changes can include:
- Running a humidifier
- Addressing digital eye strain during your workday
- Adjusting fans so they’re not blowing directly onto you
TempSure Envi Radiofrequency Treatment
We offer our patients TempSure Envi radiofrequency treatment to clear blocked meibomian glands and support the production of healthy tears and relieve dry eye symptoms.
Originally developed to treat fine lines and wrinkles, radiofrequency therapy is a safe dry eye treatment. It works by gently heating blocked meibomian glands to stimulate them into making high-quality tears. As a bonus, radiofrequency therapy also reduces the look of fine lines, bags, and wrinkles around the eyes.
If your dry eye symptoms are related to MGD, a warm compress, such as the Bruder mask, can help soften the oils in the glands to support better tears.
Multiple studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids can provide relief or protection from dry eye symptoms.
Add omega-3s to your diet by consuming salmon, herring, tuna, and sardines or by taking an omega-3 supplement.
Hours To Fit Your Schedule, Direct Billing
We are located at the corner of First Ave. and Wellington St. in St. Thomas. Parking is always free.
- 1-310 Wellington Street
- St. Thomas, ON N5R 2T1
- Monday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed